We’re taking my favorite chocolate cupcakes , filling with creamy strawberry buttercream, and topping with smooth chocolate ganache. All pretty straightforward recipes grouped together to create a new cupcake masterpiece. Unwrap the decadence.
- 1 batch of chocolate cupcakes
- Strawberry Frosting
- 1/2 cup (5-6g) freeze-dried strawberries*
- 1/2 cup (1 stick; 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups (240g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- salt, to taste
- Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
- one 4-ounce (113g) semi-sweet chocolate bar, coarsely chopped*
- Bake the chocolate cupcakes. As the cupcakes cool, I suggest you make the chocolate ganache in step 2. This way the ganache can cool down and thicken as the cupcakes cool down. Saves you time!
- Make the ganache as the cupcakes cool: Place chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it begins to gently simmer. (Do not let it come to a rapid boil– that’s too hot!) Pour over chocolate and let it sit for 2-3 minutes to gently soften the chocolate. Then stir until completely combined and chocolate has melted. Cover and refrigerate until it’s thick and a spreadable consistency, about 1-2 hours. You don’t want it runny. The longer it’s chilled, the thicker it will be.
- Make the frosting: Using a blender or food processor, process the freeze-dried strawberries into a powdery crumb. You should have around 1/4 cup. Set aside. In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, strawberry powder, heavy cream, and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat for 2 minutes. Taste. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet. Set aside.
- Visit Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes@sallysbakingaddiction.com For Recipe Instructions.